Top 7 Things to do in Central Montenegro
This region reveals the real picture of Montenegro, integrated into its two capitals: the Old Royal Capital of Cetinje, a culturally rich area, with many culture-historical monuments to visit and the current capital city of Podgorica with its modern and urban architecture, as the administrative centre of the country. Here we'll give you some advice and recommendations, what to do in Central Montenegro.
1. Don't miss cultural events and the annual festivals
- In Nikšić, Bedem Fest and Lake Fest are the famous rock music festivals taking place in August and September;
- in Cetinje, Summer in the Old Capital is a festival of live music, art exhibitions, folklore dances, literary events, etc., which lasts during the whole summer, representing the rich offer of the old royal capital.
- Some of the other events interesting to visit are Cetinje Biennial, a prestigious art manifestation, and International Hill Climb Race, a race from the town to (and up) the Lovćen Mountain.
- Podgorica, as the capital city, holds several events and festivals throughout the whole year. Podgorica's Cultural Summer is a summer-long festival of various cultural happenings, like theatre plays, movie nights, open-air concerts, etc.
- Annual International Book Fair is taking place every year, attracting visitors from all around the world, and
- Podgorica Christmas Bazaar, taking place from 2018, completing the city's rich New Year's offer.
2. Visit religious monuments
Some of the most beautiful examples of this type of architecture can be found in Podgorica, Cetinje and Nikšić: the imposing Temple of Christ’s Resurrection in Podgorica, the unique Cathedral Church of Saint Basil of Ostrog in Nikšić; the Ostrog Monastery, as one of the most visited monasteries, historically valuable Cetinje Monastery in Cetinje, etc. An article we’ve recently written about religious monuments in Montenegro can give you an idea of where to go and which monuments to visit.
3. Visit Njegos’s Mausoleum on Lovćen Mountain
4. Explore Lipa Cave in Cetinje
5. Experience the nightlife
Fridays and Saturdays are popular days for going out, buzzing with good energy and performances of local bands. NK Pub, Montenegro Cafe Pub, Montenegro PUB, Café Floyd etc. are just some of the most popular places for the lovers of casual sound. During the day, these pubs and bars turn into clam, peaceful spots where you can enjoy your morning or afternoon coffee. For the lovers of parties and more heavy sound, several regionally known clubs can be found in Podgorica and Nikšić.
6. Enjoy the great food and drink offer
The inevitable Njeguški Pršut (dried/smoked ham), together with Njeguški Cheese are found in the Lovćen region; the famous Podgorički Popeci and Japraci in Podgorica region, together with the most famous Montenegrin wine sort Vranac. In Nikšić, you can enjoy the most popular served beer, Nikšićko Pivo, produced in this city. There is a wide offer of restaurants, bistro-bars, and taverns where you can enjoy the best of the offer, not only of local but of international cuisine as well. Check it out here.
7. Recreational Walks in the Nature Parks
In Nikšić, you will find a similar place to Gorica, also located on a hill outside of the town. Trebjesa, as the main nature park of Nikšić, is recognisable for its sports, recreational and tourist content. There is also a hotel located on the top of the hill, offering an amazing view of the city.