My Guide Website?
Nature Park Trebjesa
Trebjesa was first mentioned in the 12th century in the Chronicle of the Priest Dukljanin (“Ljetopis Popa Dukljanina”). Since then it has continued to be an irreplaceable part of this town and its citizens.
On the southwest side of Trebjesa, there are 3 springs from which the river Mrkošnica originates, and on this particular small area, the existence of 14 endemic plant species has been proven. Nonetheless, Trebjesa is a habitat for a significant number of animal species, many of which are on the European World Red List, protected by many international conventions and the presence of endemic species has also been recorded.
At the foothill of Trebjesa, there are tennis courts, a small sports stadium, a martial arts hall, a football field, the promenade 'Vito Nikolic' along with the city park. Additional available activities are hiking, running, Nordic hiking, cycling, outdoor fitness. The advantage that the citizens of Nikšić have while doing physical activities is the clean air and essential oil that is released from the pine forest which cleanses the lungs and makes you feel good.
Besides recreational activities, many historical-cultural monuments can be found here:
- Church of St. of the Apostles Peter and Paul (12th century),
- Remains of the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin from the Middle Ages, Church of St. Georgia (8th century),
- Cathedral of St. Basil of Ostrog (19th century),
- Old castle of King Nikola (19th century), and
- Castle of King Nikola (1900).